AIE YEP Perth | An overview of the new Wholesale Electricity Market
Date: Thu 25 Feb 2021 @5:30pm AWST
The electricity sector is experiencing a major transformation because of the rapid uptake of rooftop solar panels and battery storage systems, and increasing levels of large-scale renewable generators, such as wind and solar farms. In response to this, in early 2019 the State Government released its Energy Transformation Strategy outlining its work program to deliver secure, reliable, sustainable and affordable electricity to Western Australians.
The Strategy is being delivered in three workstreams:
- Distributed Energy Resources (DER), including the release of a DER Roadmap in early 2020 and ongoing implementation of the roadmap actions.
- Whole of System Planning, including the release of the inaugural Whole of System Plan in October 2020.
- Foundation Regulatory Frameworks, including redesign of the Wholesale Electricity Market (WEM) to commence in October 2022.
The event will provide you an overview new WEM, including presentations on the new access regime, new reserve capacity and market arrangements and how storage can participate in the market. Presentations will be followed by a question and answer session.
The presenters are experts at the Energy Transformation Implementation Unit who have led the new market design:
- Ashwin Raj – Assistant Director, Improving Access
- Aditi Varma – Assistant Director, Future Market Design and Operation
- Dora Guzeleva – Specialist, Markets